Wednesday 14 July 2010

Zine - A Short Fanzine About Rocking


I started A Short Fanzine About Rocking way back in 2001 as a way to bring together my love of music - hardcore in particular, but plenty of other stuff as well - and writing. I've somehow got to 27 issues now, despite things like having a serious day job and being in a long-term relationship meaning I have less and less time to do it.


Despite that, I don't really know how to stop doing it, cause writing the zine is so much part of what I do and such an important part of my love for music, that I'd be just a little bit lost without it. Through writing ASFAR I've met so many cool people - bands, label people, promoters, all the guys and girls who've contributed words/photos for free over the years - and it's helped me to articulate just how important music is to me, as well as hopefully helping to bring cool up and coming new bands to the attention of a few more people out there. I'm not afraid to feature more 'mainstream' bands in the zine, but the most important part of it for me is writing about cool new hardcore bands who remind me every time I see or hear them just how awesome the genre is - most recently this has included Breaking Point, Never Again, Basement, Crossbreaker, I could go on, there's so much awesome stuff out there.


A bit of a plug now - the new issue of the zine, featuring interviews with Trash Talk, 50 Lions, Parkway Drive and a load more, is out now and available from http://ashortfanzineaboutrocking.bigcartel.com. I'm always interested in having more people contribute to the zine, or sell it on their distro, or basically anything to keep it fun and relevant - so please get in touch!

No comments:

Post a Comment